7 Tips on How to Prepare for GATE Exam
(TNEB_AE/RRB_JE/SSC_JE Exams Preparation)
GATE EXAM Preparation Tips:
|Step 1||Start Early preparation|
|Step 2||Know the syllabus of GATE Exam|
|Step 3||Know the Weightage of Subjects|
|Step 4||Make a Study Plan|
|Step 5||Getting Best GATE Study Material|
|Step 6||Know the Importance of Engineering Maths & Aptitude|
Revise the Subjects
What is GATE Exam?
GATE EXAM is one of the main Exam for Engineering Graduates. According to a survey, every year around 9 lakh candidates appear for GATE Exam. Due to the competition in GATE EXAM, one needs to be prepare well to secure an admission in IITs/IISc. Also a good gate mark and gate all india rank in exam to get a job in PSUs like BHEL, ONGC, IOCL, NLC, RITES, Powergrid, etc.)
Gate Exam aims at rigorous testing of the students’ concepts building in Technical and Non-Technical (Aptitude) skills. The weightage in GATE Exam for Engineering subjects is 70% while that for Aptitude and Engineering Maths is 30%.
Preparing for GATE Exam should not be a big worry for students aspiring to get admission in top colleges and PSUs. All they need to have is a proper planning, a great execution, a good mentor and very importantly self-confidence.
GATE 2022 Exam is conducted by IIT, Kharagpur on 5th, 6th, 12th & 13th February 2021 on 29 subjects like Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Civil, Chemical, Maths, Aeronautics, Physics, Chemistry, etc.
To know more about the subjects and the syllabus click here : GATE 2022 Official Website
Tips for GATE 2022 Exam Preparation:
1) Start the GATE preparation early :
“Just One Hour Earlier, can Change Everything”
Starting the GATE Exam preparation early will help you to plan your studies and a good material, which one needs to have to crack GATE Exam. It means, half of the battle is won because it will ensure that you will get enough time to manage college studies and gate exam preparation.
One of our students Ms.Dharani from Instrumentation engineering department has started her GATE Preparation from 3rd year while most of the GATE Aspirants start on final year. She started her classroom coaching. She studied daily 2 hours apart from her college work by using GATEFORUM Books and class notes. She has done her coaching for GATE for 2 years. Her early start of GATE preparation gave her good knowledge and she got AIR 268 in GATE Exam.
Listen to our Achiever : Ms.Dharani_GateforumTrichy_Alumni, IN
2) Know the GATE 2022 Exam Syllabus and Exam Pattern:
In a cricket match, while winning the toss each captain will see the pitch whether its suits for batting or bowling. Then they will decide about the team’s first action as batting or bowling. Our Indian cricket team Captain Mr.Dhoni also do the same in all matches. If he select bowling when the pitch the suits for batting, we might have lost the match.
It is very necessary to go through the Exam Syllabus and Pattern, as your preparation planning will be completely based on these two things. A good understanding of the exam pattern will give you an idea about how to go ahead on the path of GATE Exam preparation& prepare yourself for GATE 2022 Exam. GATE has many types of questions viz. MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions), MSQs (Multiple Select Questions) and NATs (Numeric Answer Types) and also consists of compulsory areas.
Question Pattern of GATE 2022 Exam
|Examination Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Number of Subjects (Papers)||29|
|Sections||General Aptitude (GA) + Candidate’s Selected Subject(s)|
|Type of Questions||(a) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) (b) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions|
|Questions for testing these abilities||Recall, Comprehension, Application, Analysis & Synthesis|
|Number of Questions||10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65 Questions|
|Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks + Subject Questions: 72 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Subject Questions: 85 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Marking Scheme||Questions carry 1 mark and 2 marks|
|Negative Marking||For a wrong answer chosen in a MCQ, there will be negative marking.|
For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
For 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
NO negative marking for MSQ & NAT.
3) Know the weightage of your strong subjects:
Knowledge about the topic distribution in the question paper is a good strategy to be adapted as it will help you to know the weightage of strong and weak areas and will help you to prepare accordingly. You can go through the GATE previous year’s question papers to see the weightage of subjects and accordingly you can concentrate on those topics which seem to have more questions and weightage in the question paper.
Mr.G.Jagadeesh, a mechanical engineering student from Saranathan College of Engineering from a average family wanted to crack the GATE Exam. He approached us for his GATE Exam preparation. We gave all the insights of GATE and guided him on “how to prepare for GATE Exam?” He had analysed the GATE Exam syllabus and the weightage of each subjects.
In GATE Mechanical 10 marks will come Thermo dynamics subject. He focused on Engineering Maths and Aptitude where he can easily take atleast 25 out of 30. The subject Production (Manufacturing Science) and Machine design also carries 10 to 12 marks. By seeing the important and high weightage subjects, he studied with concentration and cracked GATE exam in first attempt. He also joined at IIT, Madras for his M.S.
4) Schedule a Study Plan for GATE 2022 Exam: After get familiar with the Exam Pattern and Weightage, it’s time to prepare a thorough study plan. By preparing a study plan, you will be able to equally give your time to an allotted chapter or topic while squeezing in time for mock tests, sample paper practice and also some rest.
The following points can be remembered while preparing the study plan
- Step 1 : Set targets, on daily – weekly and monthly basis
- Step 2 : Remember to evenly divide topics into difficult, moderate and easy sections
- Step 3: Schedule your topics in a way that it doesn’t look too repetitive
- Step 4: Give more importance to the topics which have the highest weightage and possibilities of being asked in the exam
- Step 5 :Make sure you solve enough mock tests and sample papers and also keep a track of all your score checking your graph
- Step 6 :Break time and its duration should be slotted in a way that you remain fresh even during long study hours
Avoid the following :
- Do not overcrowd a single slot with too many tough or difficult topics, either way round, take only a couple at a time
- Do not forget to arrange revision time after finishing every single chapter
- Do not follow anyone else’s schedule. Make your own study plan as it shall fit best to your taste and help you in a better way
5) Use Best GATE Study Materials : A lot of books are often named for references by previous year toppers, which would help in GATE preparation. While the textbooks can be used for studying, it is recommended that extra books should also be looked into to give that extra boost and make your concepts strong. Gateforum Trichy Study material is best to prepare for GATE. Read the concepts in the books. After every topic Exercise is given. Solve the questions. Solutions of the Exercise problems are given. Check the solutions with your answers. Keep on practicing. Solve as many as problems from the GATE Question bank of last 26 years GATE Questions.
GATEFORUM Books is available for Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology Engineering and Civil Engineering. Gateforum Study material is the most economical and best for GATE/ TNEB_AE/RRB_JE Exam preparations.
6) Focus on Engineering Mathematics and Aptitude Test : If prepared well, you can score well in these two compulsory sections of GATE paper. Since these two sections are said to constitute of basic topics, you can prepare well and raise your scores. While Mathematics can be studied along the lines of Engineering, the section of general aptitude can be prepared through newspapers and the past papers of other competitive exams such as CAT and more.
GATE Question on Engineering Maths:
Answer : (A)
7) Revision is the Important thing in GATE Exam Preparation : The most important part of the preparation for GATE Exam 2022, is to do revision on often basis. One should be not under any impression that once the whole syllabus would be complete; revision will be done. It’s completely wrong, one should do revision after studying any topics or concepts or subjects, so as not to forget what was learned. The revision will aid in the understanding of the topics or concepts and make you more knowledgeable. During revision, it is also advisable to make notes which you can refer later at time of examination. Also, solve last 20 years’ paper and check with solutions to avoid small mistakes. Doing this, contributes majorly in your preparation
To know more details about GATE Exam and How we (GATEFORUM TRICHY) help the students, Click here : GATEFORUM TRICHY
Important Tips for GATE 2022 Exam Preparation:
Listen to our Achiever : Ms.Anusha_GatefourmTrichy_Alumni, EE, NIT-P, Ph.d @ Singapore
- Prepare notes in your words after completing each chapter or subjects. Do practice with maximum number of questions as possible on given topic or subjects which will make you perfect. This habits certainly strengthens of your preparations
- Analyse your preparation. After completing every mock test or solving sample papers, it is important to check and try to correct all of the wrong answers marked by you. This will ensure that you will not wrongly answer the same question next time
- It is important to take care of your health. Make sure to eat healthy food and to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep will just make it hard for you to study
- Do not give up on co-curricular activities. It is important to indulge in things other than studies for a while to refresh the mind
- Keep being motivated and focus on your own preparation
The important thing to be followed in GATE Exam, TNEB_AE Exam preparation is consistency. Only consistent preparation will give the best result in Competitive Exams. Inspite-of many challenges, prepare daily for 4 hours in the last 4 months duration of Exams. Follow the achievers strategy and schedule to succeed in the GATE Exam.